If so, you’re going to have to try harder. Times have changed, people have changed and attracting great people requires revised strategies. Have you looked at some of your job descriptions recently? Below is a sample of a random, sales rep JD. I ask you, “Who would want this job?” There are 42 individual requirements!
When constructing JD’s, enlist the help of your marketing department in addition to HR. Make the job attractive while keeping it realistic…as in “truth in advertising”. I always wonder why the simplest of jobs becomes so incredibly complex. When hiring a sales rep, consider that you are not the only potential employer. Speak to company culture, advancement opportunities and the chance to become part of something great. If you can’t sell, then you aren’t in a position to hire a great sales rep. Select an “evangelist” within your organization to become part of the recruiting process and have her weigh in on the process and potentially “sell” the candidate. In any event, it’s important to realize that we fly jets nowadays, not propeller aircraft.
Job Description – Outside Sales Representative
Title: Outside Sales Representative
Reports To: Sales Supervisor
The Outside Sales Representative is responsible for selling corporate products or services through the achievement of opportunity-based sales quotas. The Outside Sales Representative will reach his or her business targets through effective management of designated territories and physical visits to customer sites. This individual will also develop ongoing, profitable relationships with customers and continually maintain a professional image of the company. Integrity, passion, and in-person presentational skills are essential for this role.
- Conduct a minimum of 5 sales presentations per week by physical visits to customer locations.
- Perform professional presentations or demonstrations of company product(s)/service(s) while on-site.
- Penetrate all targeted accounts and radiate sales from within client base.
- Overcome objections of prospective customers.
- Emphasize product/service features and benefits, quote prices, discuss credit terms, and prepare sales order forms and/or reports.
- Build and foster a network of referrals to create new opportunities for revenue growth.
- Generate and develop new customer accounts to increase revenue, by cold-calling if necessary.
- Ensure follow-up by passing leads to Account Managers with calls-to-action, dates, complete profile information, sources, and so on.
- Always maintain professionalism, tact, diplomacy, and sensitivity to portray the company in a positive manner.
- Actively manage call schedule to adequately cover assigned territory in a time-efficient manner.
- Use marketing data using applicable sales management software tools to maximize sales efficiency and effectiveness.
- Maintain accurate records, including sales call reports, expense reimbursement forms, billing invoices, and other documentation.
- Assist in creating RFP responses to potential clients.
- Periodically conduct information-only presentations, such as seminars, trade show demonstrations, and other efforts.
- Make front-line assessment of market conditions and advise company Account Managers and marketing staff of findings.
- Build and maintain ongoing awareness of new products and services, competitor activities, and other research.
- University or college degree in Computer Science, Marketing, or an acceptable combination of education and experience.
- 3 years of direct work experience in an external sales capacity.
- Demonstrated ability to convert prospects and close deals while maintaining established sales quotas.
- Professional demeanor, selling style, and appearance.
- Solid experience in opportunity qualification, pre-visit planning, call control, account development, and time and territory management.
- Success in qualifying opportunities involving multiple key decision makers.
- Strong knowledge of retail and/or wholesale sales principles, methods, practices, and techniques.
- Strong problem identification and objection resolution skills.
- Able to build and maintain lasting relationships with customers.
- Exceptional verbal communication and presentation skills.
- Excellent listening skills.
- Strong written communication skills.
- Self-motivated, with high energy and an engaging level of enthusiasm.
- Able to perform basic calculations and mathematical figures.
- Ability to work individually and as part of a team.
- High level of integrity and work ethic.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license and/or passport.
- Experience with customer relationship management software.
- Working Conditions
- Frequent travel is required, often up to several hours of driving per day.
- Ability to travel to, attend, and conduct presentations.
- Manual dexterity required to use desktop computer and peripherals.
- Occasional lifting of items up to 50 lbs.
- Overtime as required.
- Exposure to variable weather conditions is likely